At our Bedford clinic, we use cupping and myofascial release treatments with great results. In this article, we are going to tell you everything that you need to know about how cupping and myofascial release can help as physical therapies.
What is cupping?
Cupping is a form of medicine that has existed since ancient times, the way cupping works is that it uses specially designed suction cups that are placed on the areas where there are muscle strain and pain. The suction cups will draw blood up to the affected area that will then help it heal.
What is cupping used for?
- Cupping can be used to loosen up tight muscles and tissues in the body
- To draw up blood and increase blood flow in a certain area in the body in order to promote healing in the area.
- Finally, cupping can also be used to calm down the nervous system which helps in cases of anxiety and high blood pressure.
- Used by many professionals athletes such as Michael Phelps who is a former American Olympic gold medallist in the swimming discipline. He uses it to help his body recover faster after training or competition.
When is cupping not right for you:
- If you are using medication that makes your blood thinner/
- If you suffer from sensitive skin
- If you are sunburned on the area that you want to carry out the cupping procedure
- If you have any wounds that are healing up in the place that you want to carry out the cupping procedure
- If you have any internal organ problems
What is myofascial release?
First of all the Myofascial Tissues are a group of tissues that stretch around your back to your chest and down to your legs, the Myofascial Tissues help support some of the most important muscles in your body.
Myofascial Release is a kind of massage that tries to release tension and relax the Myofascial Tissues, which can massively increase the overall wellbeing of a person.
What is Myofascial Release used for?
- Myofascial Release can be used to treat headaches for examples by massaging tensed muscle near and around the neck.
- Can help get rid of knots and tension in muscles all over the body reducing substantially any pain that you may be feeling.
- Can potentially also increase your flexibility by freeing up and relaxing your muscles.
- Promotes blood flow around your body which contributes to faster healing of old tensed up spots.
- Contributes to a big reduction in the soreness of your muscles.
- Can boost your immune system by promoting the body to pump lymph towards the heart.
When is Myofascial Release not right for you:
- If you have fractured or broken bones in areas where you want to carry out the Myofascial Release
- If you have open wounds that are still in the process of healing
- People with varicose vein problems
- People taking blood thinning drugs
- People that are known to suffer from extra fragile bones
In conclusion Cupping and Myofascial Release are a great type of physical therapy to help promote healing, extra flexibility, boost your immune system and release knots and tension all over your body. It is very important to only work with experienced professionals on all kinds of physical therapies to make sure that you are getting the correct treatment that will not end up hurting or injuring you.